Panna cotta is a classic Italian dessert simple to make at home with this easy recipe. Cream, sugar and gelatin come together into a silky, soft set custard-like that can be aromatized with coffee, peppermint, rum, vanilla or other flavorings.
Panna cotta pairing possibilities are endless from seasonal fresh fruits to homemade jam. Let your imagination, creativity and taste buds guide you as they guided me in creating this delicious peppermint panna cotta recipe.
This panna cotta was intended to be flavored with vanilla but I unintentionally used peppermint. I also had a bottle of red wine in my kitchen; and thought to make wine jam to drizzle over the panna cotta and fresh berries for garnish. I can’t tell you enough how amazingly delicious the sweetness of red wine jam and berries with a hint of cool tasting peppermint is in a spoonful of my panna cotta. You’ll just have to try it.
- Panna Cotta
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin (approx. 1 tablespoon)
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 2 cups half & half
- 1 cup of cream
- ⅓ cup of sugar
- ½ teaspoon of peppermint extract
- Red Wine Jam
- 2 cups of red wine
- ½ cup of sugar
- In a small glass bowl, sprinkle the gelatin over 2 tablespoons of water. Let stand while you heat the cream.
- In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, combine the half & half, cream, sugar and heat until warm. Do not let it reach boil.
- Remove from heat stir in gelatin and peppermint extract until completely dissolved.
- Using a sieve, strain into a large pitcher to remove any clumps of gelatin.
- Pour in 6 ounce ramekins and chill in the refrigerator until set.
- In a small saucepan, over medium heat allow the wine to boil and to be reduced to 75%.
- Add the sugar and bring it to boil. Then let it simmer over low heat until desired consistency.