Baba ganoush is a Mediterranean dish of roasted eggplant blended with tahini, garlic, lemon juice and salt. Traditionally, the eggplant is baked or broiled over open flame. Thankfully, canned roasted eggplants simplify the process and cut the preparation time down to only 5 minutes.
If you have 5 minutes and the 5 needed ingredients, you too can make this delicious baba ganoush.
So you ask what’s it taste like? I’d say, creamy from the tahini, savory with a mild smoky sweet taste, and slightly tangy from the lemon juice.
It’s one of my favorite dishes for it’s quickness and versatility. Served as an appetizer with a drizzle of olive oil and garnished with diced tomatoes. Perfect for dipping veggies, eating with pita bread or serving as an accompaniment to grilled meats. Try it and you will see its simplicity and goodness.
- 1 can of roasted eggplant (28 ounce)*(see note below)
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 5 tablespoons tahini (sesame paste)
- 2 lemons juiced
- Salt to taste
- 2 - 3 tablespoons olive oil, garnish
- 1 tomato, diced, garnish
- 1 stem fresh mint, optional
- A dash of paprika, garnish
- In a large bowl, add the roasted eggplant and remaining ingredients, except the olive oil and tomatoes and mash gently with a pestle or the back of a large spoon until all ingredients are well incorporated and the texture resembles a purée.
- Spoon the baba ganoush onto a serving dish. With the back of a tablespoon, form a well to hold the drizzled olive oil, garnish the inner edge with diced tomatoes and the outer edge with paprika.