It’s not too late to surprise your sweetheart this Valentine’s Day with these fresh, light and delicate crêpes from Coco’s Mediterranean Cuisine made by you. See how fun and easy it is to make crêpes.
The crêpes batter is very similar in ingredients to pancake batter only much lighter and thinner. It’s French-style pancakes that is super easy to make. They can be made sweet or savory. Sweet style crêpes can be infused with vanilla or almond extract, orange blossom water, lavender blossoms or even lemon zest. They really are very versatile and fun to make. All that is needed is a small 8 inch nonstick skillet and a rubber spatula to cook these beautiful crêpes.
There are so many ways to enjoy these decadent and delicate treats. A very popular crêpes filling is Nutella and bananas. They can also be filled with fruits or a drizzle of fruit purée.
I like my crêpes filled with an amazingly delicious mascarpone cheese filling. A filling that is so simple to make. With a hand held electric mixer mix together, 8 ounces of mascarpone cheese (Italian cream cheese) at room temperature, 1/3 cup of whipping cream, 1/3 cup of powder sugar and a dash of pure vanilla extract, until the mixture forms soft peeks. Voila! A beautiful, creamy velvety filling is ready in no time to enjoy on a crêpe. Feel free to experiment and add whatever you desire to make the perfect crêpes for your sweetheart today and any day.
- ⅔ cup of all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup of milk
- 4 tablespoons of water
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract*(See note below)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted (plus extra to coat the pan)
- Together sift the flour, salt and sugar into a large bowl.
- Make a well and pour in the lightly beaten eggs.
- Using a whisk, gently bring in the flour from the edge of the bowl.
- Whisk in the milk, water and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Strain the batter into a pitcher or large measuring cup and set aside for 20-30 minutes.
- Heat an 8 inch crêpe pan or a nonstick pan with low edges over medium heat.
- Stir the melted butter into the batter.
- Brush the hot pan with melted butter.
- Pour in a half of a ladle of batter into the hot pan and quickly rotate to cover the bottom of the pan. Cook for approximately 1 minute until the bottom is golden brown.
- With a small spatula, turn over the crêpe and cook for 30 seconds.
- Remove from pan onto a plate.
- Repeat steps 9-11 until the batter is used up.