Cauliflower, a vegetable that’s often unappreciated, stars in this rich and elegant tart. In this recipe, steamed cauliflower is combined with sweet light golden onions in a creamy béchamel sauce and baked in a pie shell.
This cauliflower tart is super easy to make with few ingredients and very versatile. It can be a good starter, side dish and even a light lunch or dinner.
I made it last Friday to share with my best friend Carla over a light dinner. I must tell you Carla loved it so much that she named it “Dreamers’ Delight”. I have to say it’s an interesting name for this delicious cauliflower tart. It was absolutely perfect with a glass of white wine and a green salad.
- Savory Cauliflower Tart
- 1 deep dish pastry pie shell (store bought)
- 1 small cauliflower head broken into tiny florets (about 2 cups)
- 1 small onion thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Béchamel Sauce
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 1½ cup half and half, warm
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, divided
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Cover the inside of the pastry pie shell with aluminum foil, weigh it down with dried beans and bake it for approximately 15 minutes.
- While the pie shell is baking, cook the cauliflower.
- Place the cauliflower florets in a medium sauce pan covered with water and boil, over medium heat, for 5-6 minutes until tender. Drain and set aside.
- In the meantime, prepare the Béchamel sauce.
- In a small sauce pan, over medium heat, melt two tablespoons of butter, add the flour and stir consistently to cook.
- Add the warm half and half, nutmeg and stir until the sauce thickens about 5-8 minutes.
- Remove from heat stir in half a cup of parmesan cheese until melted.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- In a small sauce pan, sauté the onions in one tablespoon of butter until lightly golden 5-7 minutes.
- Cover the bottom of the baked pie shell with lightly golden onions and arrange the cauliflower florets evenly over them.
- Pour the Béchamel sauce over the onion and cauliflower and top with the remaining parmesan cheese.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes or until center is set and lightly browned.
- Let it cool for 10 minutes before serving.